Monday, October 5, 2009

Are You Serious?

As I was reading the New York times, as I do every morning, I came across an opinion article by a man named Paul Krugman. The title of the article was "The Politics of Spite." The article began by stating that at the conservative headquarters of The Weekly Standard, there were cheers after finding out that Chicago was not chosen for the 2012 Olympic Games. He mentions that the Republican Party has the the "emotional maturity of a bratty 13 year old." He says that since it meant that President Obama didn't get his way with something that it was a win for the Republican party and that they were cheerful about it. Reading on through the article, it says that if Republicans think something will be good for the president, then they will be against it, with no regards as to whether it will be good for the country or not. Krugman says that since the Reagan years, the Republican party has been led by nothing but radicals who do not accept anyone's rights to govern. He closes the article with saying that this is an ugly truth that people who are trying to solve America's real problems need to understand.

I personally think that this man is off his rocker. I completely agree with him about one thing in his article, that politicians have become nothing but spiteful. But where I differ, is that I believe both sides are to blame, not just the Republicans. Politics in America has become a dirty business, where people are just out to better themselves. I believe that people who run for a political office start out with good ideas and truly believe in changing things for the better, but things go down hill.

I can't honestly say that one side or the other can be called spiteful. I think both sides are and the only way to help America and the morale of Americans is to work together. After 9/11 there was a unity from both political parties. Since then, Americans have split again and started working against each other instead of working together for the good of the whole. In sports, people have to work together to get the win. I believe that it should be the same in politics. We all want what is best for the country, why can't both parties work together to achieve it? I don't believe that the parties will ever agree with such issues as abortion or fiscal policies, but instead of fighting about them, why not find a happy medium that serves everyone?

Those are just my thoughts on it...

No comments:

Post a Comment